Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Elf on the Shelf

I know it is a little early, but Luke and I were so excited about introducing the Elf on the Shelf to our family.

For those of you who don't know what "Elf on the Shelf" is. Let me briefly explain....I bought this kit from Hallmark that includes a book and an elf. The book explains the whole christmas tradition of "Elf on the Shelf".........So that Santa can see who is naughty or nice, he sends his elves to watch the children. A family can adopt one of his elves and gives it a name and then places it on a shelf in their home. The elf cannot talk (per Santa's request) but the children can tell him anything they want to. The children cannot touch the elf either or his Christmas magic will disappear. But the elf watches the children all day and at night while they sleep, he uses Christmas magic to fly back to the North Pole and give Santa his report. In the morning, when the children wake up, the elf is in a new location and the children have to find it.
Luke is so into this new tradition. As I put him to bed last night he said:
Luke: "Mommy is that elf really going to fly back to the North Pole tonight?"
Mommy: "Yes, he will"
Luke: "How will he do that?"
Mommy: "He will use Christmas magic."
Luke: "Cool, I am going to find him first in the morning!"
Sure enough at 6:45 am I hear "I found it... I found the elf first".
Then later that morning at the kitchen table I overhear the following conversation:
Carman: crying over something
Luke: "Carman, that elf can hear you and he is watching you!!"
Carman: No response (she doesn't really give 2 cents about this elf)
My thoughts are... maybe I should keep the elf out all year!! Nevertheless, I love this time of the year and the best part is seeing it through my children's eyes. They make it so much fun!!


8 comments:

Joella Hancock Morris said...

I want an elf! What a fun tradition, and it does sound like it could be a good thing all year.

Tieky Torch said...

Joanna! I love this! My sister Annie has done the same thing, and they love it as well!

Charlotte said...

What a fun idea. We have a little troll Peter bought in Norway, but the kids are terrified of it. It would not be fun if it started "moving" on its own. I will have to look for the elf instead.

Mamafamilias said...

How cute!! I'm sure when Miss E finds out that an elf lives at Luke and Carman's house, she will want him at her house too. Because whatever Luke and Carman have & do is the coolest!

Ashley said...

I love this idea!!~

The Robinson Family said...

Oh I forgot to mention in the post...we named our elf "Buddy". Have you ever seen the movie "Elf" with Will Ferrel?? That was our inspiration!!

Robbins said...

I LOVE IT! What a great idea!

The Smith Trio said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! Our girls would go crazy over it. Luke is so cute.